Fujifilm has a history of releasing firmware updates so significant that you feel like you’re downloading a brand new camera. The company has just announced this type of upcoming update to the X-T2 and X-Pro2: the new firmware will bring a whopping 33 functional and operational improvements.
The updating will occur via two different firmware updates released in late March and late May. The improvements reflect “users’ requests for improving operability and adding new functions,” Fuji says.
There will be a brand new Voice Memo function that lets you record 30-second audio clips while in Playback mode, useful for saving some “notes” for photos to reference later. There’s also going to be a new Copyright Info feature that lets you register the photographer and copyright holder’s name(s) in advance so that those details are automatically baked into the EXIF data of each photo.
May 2017 Update
1. Support for computer tethering via Wi-Fi (X-T2 only): The update adds support for computer tethering via Wi-Fi.
2. Addition of “All” AF mode (X-T2 only): With the update, select “All” in the AF mode so that you can select the AF mode and Focus Area size by only using the Command Dial.
3. Function extension for “Shutter AF” and “Shutter AE” (X-T2 only): With the update, you can specify different settings for AF-S and AF-C in “Shutter AF” and for AF-S / MF and AF-C in “Shutter AE.”
4. Addition of “-6” and “-7” to EVF’s brightness setting: Additional options of “-6” and “-7” to the “EVF Brightness” setting so that, even in an extremely low-light condition, the brightness of the EVF does not distract you from shooting.
5. Switchover of the main and sub displays in the Dual Display mode (X-T2 only): The update allows you to switch between the main and sub displays in the Dual Display mode.
6. Function assignment to the Rear Command Dial: With the update, you can assign a specific function to be activated when the Rear Command Dial is pressed.
Fujifilm X-T2/X-Pro2 Firmware Update